I am filled with rage 2006 March 13 18:12Posted by diamond in : Work , 2 comments
Last thursday, after spending a few months on writing code for the project, it was decided that we had to change target platform. The part of the project that i am working on is highly os specific. The original platform had been ubuntu. The new platform was OS X. I’ve long had a love-hate relationship with OS X. It does some things very nicely. It does others horribly horribly wrong. The last 4 days has been a case of the latter, time and time again.
Things that have pissed me off today:
- Terminal.app (doesn’t render irssi correctly)
- iTerm (incomprehensible settings)
- uninstalling packages on OS X (hunt down and delete secreted directory)
- finder (delete and/or backspace don’t delete files)
- safari (doesn’t render pages until all content is fully loaded)
- safari (caches images that have no datestamp)
- OS X (taking ~4.3s to load python + some libraries. every time. 24 times slower than a p3. and this is on a dual g5 1.8G)
- trashcan (fails to empty. repeatedly)
- trashcan (you can’t delete individual items)
- mac (no physical eject key)
- mac (eject key ignored a lot during reboot cycle)
- mac (silently rejecting + ejecting an _OS X_ cd/dvd for unknown reasons)
- OS X (refusing to install without my postcode, phone number, street address, state)
- OS X (displaying dates in american format even after being told it was in ireland)
- Apple (incomprehensible dvd labling. ‘CPU Drop In Dvd’ == ‘Upgrade only’)
There’s more from the last 4 days. Much much more.
I am filled with rage.