Answers to the pop-quiz 2006 April 5 23:26Posted by diamond in : Cycling,Skynet,Work , 2 comments
So, here are the answers that you’ve all been no doubt waiting for -) (for those who’ve just tuned in, see here). These are the exact answers used for judging the round in the table-quiz, complete with notes.
- What does PERL stand for?
Practical Extraction and Report Language 
- What year was linux 1.0 released in?
1994 (13th of march to be precise -)
- What does CIDR stand for?
Classless Inter-Domain Routing
- Which company does Linus Torvalds work for?
Open Source Development Lab (OSDL) (as of june ’03)
- Which language does Alan Cox write his diary in?
- What does the 206 status code mean in http 1.1?
- What is the reverse dns zone for ul’s class-b ip allocation?
201.136.in-addr.arpa. (exactness required)
- What is the prefix of link-local in ipv6?
- What does MIME stand for?
Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
- Name the most common metasyntactic variable.
- Assuming no ls, how would you list the contents of the current directory in unix? Bonus points for any answer in a compiled language.
echo * (diamond judges this one)
- Bonus question: Best Text Editor: Vim or Emacs?
Vim. We want a text editor, not an os.
 PERL did not initially stand for anything, the above is a bacronym, but taken from the PERL man page and i count it as official.
So.. seeing as some people did make attempts at answering the quiz, i’ll score their attempts here:
- reilly: 1.5 (half a point for question 1).
- dredg: 11 (bonus points for: (a) his first comment, and (b) his answer to question 11, which was better than the official one).
- davisc: 0.
So, there you have it. No-one resorted to calling me names either, so no points for that. Ah well.
In completely unrelated news, my dual-core intel mac mini arrived yesterday. So far it’s been wiped twice, but is generally behaving itself. And, still unrelated, some random cycling over the last few weeks:
- wednesday 2006/03/22 with dan: 21.5km @ 23.83kmph. lap of ~9:20
- saturday 2006/03/25 with mark: 20.4km @ 26.88kmph.
- sunday 2006/04/02 with dan: 35.8km @ 23.9kmph
- wednesday 2006/04/05 on own: 20.5km @ 26.26kmph
My bad. Reilly did indeed include profanity directed at me. As such i am retroactively upping her score to 2.5.